- This event has passed.
Sustainable Forest Management Tour
August 30 @ 10:30 am - 4:30 pm$60
Tour the Collins Pine Company state-of-the-art sawmill along with their Collins-Almanor forests to learn how they manage their forests to maintain a sustainable harvest, a healthy forest ecosystem, and a strong community. Hike to trees over 400-years old in Park 40.
Learn about ecological forestry and sustainable natural resource management from experts in the field. Compare forests managed with different goals and learn how it affects wildlife, tree health and mortality, watersheds and wildfire.
Tours are $60 and include professional guides, snacks, drinks and lunch.
Meet at Collins Pine Museum in Chester, CA 96020
Size is limited so call today or sign up online!
This is event is part of our Watersheds and Woodlands Weekend, an Ecotourism Event Series.
Join the Sierra Institute and the Lake Almanor Chamber of Commerce on Labor Day Weekend for an exciting event series that celebrates and explores the important natural resources of this beautiful area, culminating in a Fabulous Fireworks Extravaganza on Saturday night.
Things to Know:
- This tour will require walking and some stair climbing. Sturdy walking shoes are highly recommended and encouraged.
- We will change environments from the museum to the mill to the outdoors; make sure you have layers and are comfortable.
- Refer to the Tours, Tips and Accessibility link on the Center of Forestry web page.
What Is Included
- Pastries/Mid-morning snack
- Lunch bar
- Shade (More likely the trees will provide shade, but we’ll bring a structure just in case.)
Please bring with you:
- A refillable water bottle
- Writing utensil
- Favorite snack